Cablevision Systems Corporation today announced that Freewheel, its new low-cost WiFi-exclusive phone service providing unlimited data, talk and text is now available for sale nationwide at Freewheel.com. The service, available on the Motorola Moto G smartphone, works anywhere in the world where WiFi is accessible, and will operate only when the device is connected to a WiFi signal. Freewheel provides the next generation of connectivity, allowing customers to tap into the wealth of WiFi that surrounds them and continues to grow every day. Freewheel offers a better, faster data experience than slower and overpriced cellular service.
“Cellular was built for voice and WiFi was built for data, which is why WiFi is the preferred choice for data usage today,” said Kristin Dolan, chief operating officer of Cablevision. “Freewheel integrates a high quality device backed by the strength of our professionally maintained carrier-grade WiFi network. As the thirst for data continues to grow, Freewheel provides consumers with a better, faster data experience, all at a fraction of the cost of cellular.”
As the first all-WiFi service to be introduced by a cable provider, Freewheel offers market-leading services and features including:
- Connectivity anywhere in the world where you are connected to WiFi as well as automatic access to 1.1 million Optimum WiFi hotspots across the New York tri-state area, which include indoor and outdoor locations and an expanding network of residential hotspots
- A low monthly price of $29.95 or $9.95 for Cablevision’s Optimum Online customers, which is up to 80 percent less expensive than leading cellular offerings
- Availability on the Motorola Moto G, a popular Android device that was recently rated the “best low-cost smartphone” by The Wall Street Journal. The device is for sale at a heavily discounted price of $99.95
- Attractive international calling plans, a 30-day refund policy and no annual contract
- Truly unlimited data, talk and text, unlike many so-called “unlimited” cellular plans. Freewheel is always “all you can eat,” with no overage charges, ever.
Freewheel will introduce additional features in the coming weeks and months that will underscore WiFi’s superiority over the legacy cellular model.
Freewheel is a great option for people who:
- Spend their day in WiFi-rich environments, including colleges, offices and homes
- Overspend on data or constantly worry about staying within their expensive and restrictive cellular data limits
- Live in densely populated areas or other locales that suffer from poor cellular reception
- Are budget conscious or on a fixed income
- Are looking for the best first device for their children
- Do not want to sign multi-year contracts.
Cablevision is a leader in the development and delivery of WiFi for consumers. The company began building and investing significantly in its Optimum WiFi network in 2007, just as the first smartphones were being introduced to the market. Since then, Optimum WiFi has become enormously popular and is highly utilized:
Optimum WiFi Usage
- More than 7 billion megabytes (7,000 terabytes) of data pass through the Optimum WiFi network each month. (In comparison, the Library of Congress contains 525 terabytes of data)
- Optimum WiFi customers used the network nearly 1 billion times in Q4 2014
- Optimum WiFi customers pass an average of more than 5GB of data per month
- Customers consumed over 19 billion megabytes of data in Q4 2014.
Cablevision continues its robust marketing efforts in the tri-state area, which is also the company’s home operating territory. For more information about Freewheel or to purchase Freewheel service, visit Freewheel.com.